Source: Economic Events February 5, 2020 - Admiral Markets' Forex Calendar
Gold showed a clear bullish tendency over the last week of trading, with clear attention being on the region around 1,555 USD, around 2019's yearly highs.
The main driver certainly came from the latest news and developments concerning the Coronavirus, which resulted in a risk-off mode, driving US yields lower and thus Gold higher.
While the main question is how long these risk-off tendencies will last (based on a 2017 paper, economists calculated that the expected annual losses from pandemic risk could amount to 'only' about $500 billion (ca. 0.6% of global income) per year)), Gold still has other, still bullish drivers.
After the Fed rate decision didn't deliver anything new last Wednesday, pressure on US yields diminished a little after ISM Manufacturing data jumped to 50.9 in January of 2020 from 47.8 in December, beating market forecasts of 48.5 and pointing to the first increase in factory activity in six months.
Still, the question is if today's ADP Employment data set and ISM Non-Manufacturing can show similar tendencies. If they don't and they come in below expectations, a drop in 10-year US Treasury yields below 1.5% could follow, levelling the path up to 1,600 USD in Gold again.
Such a push higher is also favoured from a technical perspective as long as we trade above 1,440/450 USD. The potential next target on the upside can then be found in the region around 1,650/700 USD.
A drop back below 1,550 USD would be short-term bearish, activating the region around 1,510/515 USD:
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5-SE Add-on Gold Daily chart (between November 2, 2018, to February 4, 2020). Accessed: February 4, 2020, at 10:00pm GMT - Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015, the value of Gold fell by 10.4%, in 2016, it increased by 8.1%, in 2017, it increased by 13.1%, in 2018, it fell by 1.6%, in 2019, it increased by 18.9%, meaning that after five years, it was up by 28%.
Discover the world's #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.