Top Football Stock Trading Strategies for 2021
These days, professional football is a multi-billion dollar industry, with huge amounts of money being generated and spent each season. Did you know that currently there are more than twenty major football teams listed on stock exchanges? Have you ever heard of the Stoxx Europe Football Index? This presents many football trading strategies for investors. In this article, we will tell you which football club was the first to go public, the factors which influence the price of football teams' shares and what football trading strategies may be successful in 2021.
Table of Contents
- What are football club stocks? How to invest in football?
- Football stocks on the stock exchange
- Are Football Stocks Different from Traditional Stocks?
- Which football clubs can you buy shares in?
- Advantages of investing in football Teams
- Disadvantages of investing in football teams
- Investing in football teams in 2021: An opportunity?
- Ultimate football trading strategy: Trade Borussia Dortmund shares with Admirals
- A Football Trading Strategy with Williams Percent Range (%R) Indicator
- No Low Risk Football Trading Strategies
- How can you buy or sell BVB shares?
- What about American Football?
- Opportunities to invest in American football teams
- Trading football shares - Risk management
What are football club stocks? How to invest in football?
What exactly does it mean to invest in football club stocks and how do you do it? It can mean any of the following:
- Investing in a football club on the stock market like Juventus Football Club SpA stock and other listed football clubs
- Investing in an index of Football clubs like the Stoxx Europe Football Index (though this Index isn't available anymore)
- Investing in a company that is related to the football industry, but not necessarily a football club on the stock market
And a few other options. So, if you've been curious about how to invest in football and you've asked yourself, "Can you buy shares in football teams?", you're in the right place. The answer is yes. You can learn how to invest in football quite easily. However, there is no football stock market.
|Football team stocks can be bought on traditional stock exchanges.|
For example, Manchester United is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange and shares in Manchester United stock can be purchased in minutes.
Football stocks on the stock exchange
While you can't buy shares in football players, you can buy football team stocks. When people hear about trading football stocks, they may ask, "Is a football stock real?". Yes, you can trade real shares on listed football clubs with real money. However, there is no fantasy football stock market, except for a fantasy football stock trading simulator that does have some educational value.
According to the Deloitte Football Money League 2020, over the 2018/19 football season, the top 20 highest revenue generating clubs in the world amassed total revenues of $10.752 billion between them. This figure was an increase of 12% from the previous year and a new record. Most of these top teams, however, are not currently publicly traded football teams.
In 1983, English club Tottenham Hotspur became the first football team to list itself on the stock market. Several teams followed, and in 1991 the first stock market index of football teams was created: Stoxx Europe Football.
If we were interested in focusing on listed football teams in 2020, this index is where we would have first looked, as it encompassed a large number of them. According to the Stoxx website, the index's free-float adjusted market capitalisation was $802.762 million on 22 July 2020. However, Stoxx discontinued their calculation and dissemination of the STOXX Europe Football Index on August 28th, 2020 and hasn't replaced it.
Are Football Stocks Different from Traditional Stocks?
Prices of football team stocks are not necessarily governed by the economic situation of a country or by international geopolitical events. The best Football trading strategies also must take this into account.
Some of the factors that influence the price of football clubs are as follows:
- Team results. If a team performs well on the pitch, the market is likely to respond positively. Alternatively, if a team does not perform well their share price will be negatively impacted.
- For example, in March 2019, the share price of Italian club Juventus shot up 16% after, against all odds, they beat Atletico Madrid and secured a spot in the quarter-finals of that season's Champions League. A month later, the team was knocked out of the competition by Dutch side Ajax and subsequently suffered its largest decrease in share price since 2013.
- Titles. Much like winning an important knock-out game in a competition can boost stock prices, a team going that step further and winning a title is another incentive to buyers in the market.
- Transfers. The arrival, or departure, of players and club managers can also cause volatility in the stock market.
- For example, the purchase of Cristiano Ronaldo by Juventus in 2018 caused their share price to appreciate by around 10% over several days.
- Furthermore, in December 2018, Manchester United's share price rose 6% following the firing of Jose Mourinho.
- Match Rights. The money paid by broadcasters for the right to televise football games is a very important source of funding for modern football clubs. Announcements of new deals tend to have a positive impact on share prices.
- Financial Management. The way a club's board manages their finances also has an impact on the share price.
Free Trading Webinars with Admirals
If you're just starting out with stock trading, or if you're looking for new ideas, our FREE trading webinars are the best place to learn from trading experts. Receive step-by-step guides on how to use the best strategies and indicators, and receive expert opinions on the latest developments in the live markets. Click the banner below to register for FREE trading webinars!
Which football clubs can you buy shares in?
Before we explain how to buy stocks in football clubs, let's first answer a popular question that brings readers to this article - which football clubs have stocks?
We'll now look at which football clubs are on the stock market (and one popular one that's not listed on the stock market, despite popular belief).
Can you buy Liverpool football stock? This is a question asked by many fans who are interested in buying football stock. Liverpool Football Club Ltd is a professional football club (or 'soccer' club, as they say in the US). This company is a standard football club that offers matches, tickets, merchandise, stadium tours, dining facilities, and other events, serving customers in the United Kingdom.
However, you currently can’t buy Liverpool football stock. This company is under ownership of its parent company. This means that it hasn't yet been directly listed on a stock exchange. So, can you buy stock in its parent company? Many ask this next. This would be Fenway Sports Group, but we don't have good news here either.
Can I buy Fenway Sports Group stock?
For those interested in buying Liverpool Football Club stock, investing in Fenway sports GroupBuying shares in Fenway Sports Group (FSG) would be a very appealing investment. Especially because FSG is the owner of The Reds and the Boston Red Sox as well. They also own the grounds where these two teams play.
However, we can't buy FSG stock specifically because it is a private company. So, it's not possible to buy shares in Liverpool FC nor to buy FSG stock.
It's possible this could change, as football clubs often change hands, with some ending up on the stock market as a result, like Manchester United.
Liverpool stock symbol
What about that Liverpool stock symbol you may have seen? Some eager fans have come across the LFC stock symbol and have confused it as the stock symbol for the Liverpool Football Club. However, to clear up any confusion, I can confirm that there's no Liverpool stock symbol.
If you decide to invest in the company behind the "LFC" stock symbol via the NYSE, you'll simply become a shareholder of an insurance company based in China. Several passionate fans have made this mistake without fully understanding the fact that the Liverpool club is not listed.
I mentioned Manchester United, which you CAN invest in. Let's have a look at their stock.
2. Manchester United - The Wall Street football club
Manchester United is one of the most famous football teams in the world. Founded in 1878 as Newton Heath, it has had its current name of Manchester United since 1902. The club's vast array of honours include 20 First Division/Premier League titles, 3 Champions League titles and 12 FA Cup wins. The club was listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1991 and removed in 2005 when Malcolm Glazer gained ownership.
In 2012, the club returned to the stock market, this time making its debut on the New York Stock Exchange. Its starting price was set between $16 - $20 but in its first session shares fell to $14. Nevertheless, the club was valued at $2.3 billion, making it the most valuable team in the world.
Source: TradingView. Historical Chart Manchester United Stock. Captured May 26, 2021. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results or future performance.
In the above graph, we can see the historical evolution of Manchester United shares, which reached their historical maximum of $26.55 in August 2018. This price increase followed news of several sponsorship agreements with renowned brands, such as North American manufacturer Kohler.
However, the significant rise in share price coincided with a run of poor results on the field. This contributed to a fall in price and culminated in the sacking of then-manager Jose Mourinho in December 2018.
Let's take a look at another team that is currently traded on the stock market.
3. Juventus Football Club SpA Stock
As I briefly mentioned at the beginning, Juventus Football Club SpA stock is also listed on the stock market. The company operates a football team and their main business is participation in international and national matches and competitions. Juventus was founded on November 1, 1897, and their headquarters are in Turin, Italy.
According to Bloomberg, here are some key statistics for the Juventus stock:
- Price to Book Ratio: 4.5535
- Price to Sales Ratio: 1.7044
- Shares Outstanding: 1.33B
- 1 Year Return: -35.65%
- 30 Day Avg Volume: 2,787,822
- Last Dividend Reported: 0.00403401411174
It's now time to take a look at another way of investing in football stocks on the stock market:
4. City Football Group Stock
City Football Group is a holding company that, via its subsidiaries, operates and owns clubs and other businesses related to football, such as academies, marketing firms and technical support.
In short, a holding company owns the outstanding stock of other companies. As such, there is no City Football Group stock. By owning shares in other companies, they form a corporate group. Depending on the jurisdiction in which they operate, they can sometimes also engage in trade and other business activities.
Some argue that holding companies reduce risks for their investors, while permitting ownership of several companies.
City Football Group's flagship club is the Manchester Football Club in the English Premier League. They also own shares in various clubs throughout the US, Japan, Australia, China, India, Spain, France, Belgium and Uruguay. Initially, the company aimed to own a part of a team from each continent.
Invest with Admirals
Before we continue, If you are interested in beginning your investment portfolio, Admirals has the perfect investing account for you. Trade on 15 of the world's largest stock exchanges and choose from thousands of stocks and ETFs. Don't wait any longer, start your investing career today by clicking the banner below!
Advantages of investing in football Teams
The advantages of trading football shares include:
- It can be a good alternative to other traditional stock market indices and, as we saw earlier, sometimes it outperforms them.
- It offers the opportunity to diversify your portfolio into a sector that falls outside of the normal economic cycle.
- If you are a football fan, it will be easier to intuit possible rises or falls in the stock market from events or news related to the team in question.
Disadvantages of investing in football teams
As with all investments, even the best football trading strategies carry risks, such as the following:
- It is a market with little liquidity
- The high volatility of the market provides great opportunities for potential gains, however, poses just as much of a risk for large losses.
- Often, it is an unpredictable market and, in many cases, prices reflect emotion more than anything else.
Investing in football teams in 2021: An opportunity?
The international crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic has hit the football world hard, causing disruption and suspensions to European competitions. This resulted in a significant loss of income for many clubs. Even though football has now returned, clubs have been forced to play behind closed doors without fans, causing them to miss out on matchday revenue.
Despite the dramatic situation, investors may find a good opportunity to 'bargain hunt' among listed football clubs as their share prices have fallen in response to the pandemic. Some investors may buy shares while they are low in price and sell in the future when the global situation returns to normal and football shares are expected to rise in value.
For example, Manchester United shares were trading above $19 on 14 February 2020 and fell to $12 on 18 March. Currently, at the time of writing, the club's shares are trading at around $16.
Ultimate football trading strategy: Trade Borussia Dortmund shares with Admirals
Let's look at an example of one of the top football trading strategies. Admirals offers the opportunity of diversifying your portfolio by buying shares in German team Borussia Dortmund (#BVB). Customers are presented with two possible football trading strategies with BVB shares. As well as buying BVB stock directly, you can also trade using Contracts For Difference (CFDs) which allow you to take advantage of both upward and downward price movements.
Source: Admiral Markets MetaTrader 5. #BVB Weekly Chart. Data Range: November 26, 2006, to May 26, 2021. Captured on May 26, 2021. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results or future performance.
In the above chart, we can see a long term upward trend starting in September 2010 and peaking in November 2018 when the share price exceeded €10. After this peak, Borussia Dortmund's share price moved in a sideways trend, which was broken on 8 March 2020 with the suspension of football competitions.
Of the top football trading strategies, this strategy identifies that one of Borussia Dortmund's strengths, which has helped sustain the upward trend in recent years, is that the club has a policy of buying young, cheap players who they develop and sell for a much higher value. This is most recently evidenced by Christian Pulisic, who Borussia Dortmund acquired for free in 2015 when the player was 16 years old. In January 2019, Pulisic signed for English club Chelsea for an estimated transfer fee of $73 million.
Source: Admiral Markets MetaTrader 5. #BVB Daily Chart. Data Range: November 22, 2019, to May 26, 2021. Captured on May 26, 2021. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results or future performance.
However, as we can see in the above graph, when European competitions were suspended due to the outbreak of coronavirus, Borussia Dortmund's share price plummeted from €9.46 to €4.27 on 17 March 2020. Following this decrease, the price recovered ground to over €6 on 17 May 2020 - the day after the resumption of the German football league.
Investors using one of the football trading strategies might have looked at the market and potentially taken advantage of the fact the share price was cheap. Due to the restart of European competitions, share prices were likely to gradually return to pre-pandemic levels.
Another possible football trading strategy could have been to trade using CFDs in the short term, taking advantage of any falls in value that may still be experienced if there are any negative developments with the coronavirus pandemic.
A Football Trading Strategy with Williams Percent Range (%R) Indicator
Let's look at how to use the Williams Percent Range (%R) indicator in one of the football trading strategies for beginners with BVB stock.
Source: Admiral Markets MetaTrader 5. #BVB Daily Chart. Data Range: August 26, 2019, to May 26, 2021. Captured on May 26, 2021. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results or future performance.
As we can see in the chart above, the BVB has been trading within a range since 20 November 2021.
We can also see the Williams Percent Range (%R) indicator below. The %R indicator is often used to help identify overbought or oversold areas of a market. This deeper insight into the market conditions can help us identify trading opportunities and filter potential trading signals.
The %R indicator oscillates between a 0 value and a -100 value. Usually, a value between 0 and -20 means the market is overbought, while a value from -80 to -100 indicates a market that is oversold.
As we can see in the chart, the four moments where the price of BBV reversed, the %R also reached oversold and overbought regions. For example, if the price is approaching resistance and the %R indicator enters the overbought region, this may indicate a price reversal, and a trader may consider entering a short position.
No Low Risk Football Trading Strategies
While trading indicators can help us identify trading opportunities and filter false trading signals, it must be noted that there are no low risk football trading strategies. Such technical indicators like the %R are in no way a guarantee of positive results.
Source: Admiral Markets MetaTrader 5. #BVB Daily Chart. Data Range: August 26, 2019, to May 26, 2021. Captured on May 26, 2021. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results or future performance.
For example, we can see in the chart that the price approached the resistance line on 14 May 2021 while the %R indicator also entered the overbought region. However, here the price broke through resistance. This is an example of how a technical indicator can't always be trusted. This also demonstrates that trading ranges doesn't last forever. Therefore, traders should always use a stop loss as part of their risk management plan to help protect themselves from unexpected breakouts.
When using a football trading strategy, traders can deepen their understanding of market conditions by applying additional technical indicators as well as performing fundamental analysis. In this way, they may be able to strengthen their trading strategy to help avoid incurring losses they can't afford. However, no analysis nor technical indicator can guarantee positive results.
Trading with a FREE Admirals Demo Account
Traders interested in trying out football trading strategies will be pleased to know that they can trade with a FREE demo trading account first. Instead of heading straight to the live markets and putting your capital at risk, you can avoid the risk altogether and simply practice until you are ready to transition to live trading. Take control of your trading experience, click the banner below to open your FREE demo account today!
How can you buy or sell BVB shares?
So, let's look at how to invest in football shares by buying BVB stock. You can invest in BVB shares directly with Admirals using the Invest.MT5 account, which also gives you access to over 4,350 other shares and around 200 Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs).
The other possibility with Admirals, as mentioned previously, is trading with CFDs. CFDs are a financial product that allows you to trade using leverage. This means that you can open positions by only paying a small value of their value. Using leverage means it is possible to increase potential profit, however, it can also increase potential losses and must, therefore, be used carefully.
In addition to leverage, CFDs also allow you to benefit from both upward and downward movements in price, so you can "short-sell" shares if you anticipate an upcoming fall in price.
To buy or sell BVB shares with Admirals follow these steps:
- Open either a demo or live account with Admirals
- Download the MetaTrader 5 platform to your computer
- Log in to your MetaTrader trading account
- Once logged in to the platform, head to the "Market Watch" panel on the left of the screen. If the trading symbol you are looking for is not displayed, you can search for it at the bottom of the panel
- Once your desired symbol is displayed in the Market Watch, you can right-click on it and press "Chart Window" to open up its price chart
- Now click "New Order" at the top of the screen and a pop-up window will appear. Here you can choose your desired volume, stop-loss and take-profit, before either buying or selling
Source: Admiral Markets MetaTrader 5. #BVB. Screenshot of the New Order window. May 26, 2021. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results or future performance.
What about American Football?
Before I dive deep into the advantages and disadvantages of investing in football teams, it's time I briefly mention something about investing in American football teams, for those who are also interested in investing in stocks related to this sport.
Opportunities to invest in American football teams
Opportunities to invest in American football teams (American 'football', not soccer) are limited.
Alliance of American Football Stock (AAF Football Stock)
The Alliance of American Football (AAF), was a popular spring football league (American football), consisting of 8 teams which constituted two conferences:
- Eastern Conference: Birmingham Iron, Atlanta Legends, Orlando Apollos, Memphis Express
- Western Conference: Salt Lake Stallions, Arizona Hotshots, San Diego Fleet, San Antonio Commanders
These teams all began a 10-game season starting in the spring, which lead into a four-team playoff.
What about the Alliance of American Football stock price? The AAF football stock price was never set and made available to the public because it was not a publicly-traded company and, ultimately, it filed for bankruptcy in 2019 and ceased operations.
If you wish to invest in American football teams, there are options, but they are few and far between.
Green Bay Packers Stock
There have been five opportunities to buy Green Bay Packer stock since 1923. However, there aren't many other options for you.
The Green Bay Packer stock doesn't pay dividends, doesn't benefit from earnings, can't be traded, and is not protected under securities law. Their offering document has come with the warning that investors "should not purchase common stock with the purpose of making a profit."
Yet, in 2012, in the company's fifth public offering, their stock sold for $250 a share and buyers couldn't get enough.
However, today, their common stock isn't sold outside offering periods and their last stock sale was the one we just mentioned, which took place in 2012 and was used to help pay for Lambeau Field renovations. The club isn't currently considering any future offerings.
Other Ways to Buy Football Stocks
For those wanting to know how to invest in sports stocks via companies connected to this American sport, the closest you'll currently get is by investing in shares of the following companies, which aren't teams:
- NIKE INC (NKE)
- UNDER ARMOUR INC (UA)
- DICK’S SPORTING GOODS INC (DKS)
- WALT DISNEY COMPANY (DIS)
- DTE ENERGY CO (DTV)
- COMCAST CORP (CMCSA)
- GENERAL ELECTRIC CO (GE)
- PEPSICO INC (PEP)
Did you know that you can speculate on the direction of the NKE using Contracts for Difference (CFDs)? This allows you to potentially profit from both bull and bear markets.
How to trade CFDs on NKE with Admirals UK Ltd.
To get started, follow these 5 easy steps:
- Log into your existing trading account or open a real or demo trading account in just a few minutes.
- In the Market Watch box look for the EURUSD symbol.
- Drag the symbol onto the chart.
- Use the one-click trading feature on the chart or click New Order.
- Choose the entry level, stop loss and take profit and order size (volume) and then confirm the trade.
You can observe the changes in its price and operate your trades with the MetaTrader 5 trading platform.
Trade with MetaTrader 5
Admirals offers traders the number 1 multi-asset trading platform in the world - completely FREE! MetaTrader 5 enables traders access to superior charting capabilities, free real-time market data & analysis, the best trading widgets available, and much more! To download MetaTrader 5 now, click here to receive it for FREE!
Trading football shares - Risk management
If you plan to start using football trading strategies on a live account, don't forget that good risk management is vital to avoid large losses. Here are some important things to consider with risk management:
- Make a trading plan and don't deviate from it
- Use stop-losses and take-profits
- Do not risk more capital than you can afford to lose
- Positions should not exceed 2% of your balance
- If you use leverage, use it carefully
- Take into account any commissions or costs incurred by your trades
Now that you are familiar with football trading strategies and how to buy stocks in football clubs, we wish you luck!
Other articles that may interest you:
- What is Online Trading
- 10 Lessons to Learn From Professional Trading Strategies
- The Pair Trading Strategy Guide
Admirals is a multi-award winning, globally regulated Forex and CFD broker, offering trading on over 8,000 financial instruments via the world's most popular trading platforms: MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5. Start trading today!
INFORMATION ABOUT ANALYTICAL MATERIALS:
The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts, market reviews, weekly outlooks or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter “Analysis”) published on the websites of Admiral Markets investment firms operating under the Admiral Markets trademark (hereinafter “Admiral Markets”) Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The content is published for informative purposes only and is in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the content.
- With view to protecting the interests of our clients and the objectivity of the Analysis, Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- The Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (hereinafter “Author”) based on their personal estimations.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the content are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis.
- Any kind of past or modelled performance of financial instruments indicated within the content should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved.