How to install MetaTrader 4 on Mac
Reading time: 7 minutes
In this article, you will find out how to install MetaTrader 4 on Mac.
How to install MetaTrader 4 on Mac OS X
- 1.Go to the MetaTrader 4 for Mac page
- 2.Click on the blue button "Download"
- 3.Fill in the requested information on the form
- 4.Once completed, the download will start automatically
- 5.If the download is not automatic, click on the blue link "Download manually", and the MetaTrader 4 application will download and add itself to your Mac or iMac Downloads folder
- 6.Double click on the "MetaTrader 4 Admiral Markets.dmg" file to open it. If the file does not open, right click on it and select "Open"
- 7.The system will start installing the MetaTrader 4 application for Mac
- 8.A window will appear with the MetaTrader 4 icon, and the Applications folder icon. Select the MetaTrader 4 for Mac platform icon, and drag and drop it into the Applications folder. The platform will copy itself into this folder
- 9.You can now launch your native MetaTrader 4 application for Mac OS X or iMac from the Applications folder of your Finder or the Launchpad
- 10.If you have not authorized applications that are not downloaded from the App Store, you may see the following error message:
- 11.Click on the Apple icon in the upper-left corner of your screen and select "System Preferences", then go to the "Security and Privacy" tab
- 12.You will see a confirmation request, click on the "Open anyway" button
- 13.The system will ask you for a confirmation to open the application. All you have to do is click on the "Open" button, and the MetaTrader 4 application will start. This procedure needs to be done only once, then all future openings of the application will be done without any confirmation
- 14.Your MT4 trading platform for Macbook will open, and you will be able to use it with a demo or a real trading account
Open a MetaTrader 4 Mac trading account
If you do not yet have a trading account, a demo account was created when you filled in your information to download the MT4 platform.
You have received an email with your login details, password and demo account server.
If you have not received any login details, go to your Trader's Room (your login is your email address, the password is the one you chose when you filled in your information to download MetaTrader 4 for Mac) and click on the "Open Demo" button to receive your login details.
The settings of your demo account:
- Trading conditions: Retail for retail clients or professional for professional clients
- The account type: Zero.MT4 is dedicated to the forex market, Trade.MT4 is for the forex market, indexes, commodities, equities, bonds, and crypto-currencies. Discover our different account types
- Currency: Choose the currency of your trading account
- Leverage: Choose the leverage you want to use
How to login to the MT4 Mac trading account
- 1.Launch the MetaTrader 4 trading platform for Mac from your Applications folder or the Launchpad
- 2.At the top left of your MT4 trading platform, click on "File" and select "Open an Account"
- 3.Select the trading server specified in your login details and click on "Next"
- 4.Select "Existing trade account" and enter your login ID (which corresponds to your trading account number) and your trader's password
- 5.Finally, click on "Finish". You are now connected to your trading account!
Another solution to login to an existing trading account is to do the same procedure as indicated above, but select "Login to Trade Account" instead of "Open an Account". You just have to fill in your login ID, your trader's password and select your trading server. Finally, click on "Login".
Warning: For MT4 MacBook and iMac users who have a keyboard without a keypad, the "Caps lock" key does not work for entering numbers in a password. To type the numbers, hold down the "Shift" key while typing the desired number using the top bar of the keyboard.
You are now ready to use your MetaTrader 4 trading station for Mac and invest in the markets.
Which brokers offer MT4 for Mac
Created by the MetaQuotes company, MT4 Mac is only available with some online brokers. Admiral Markets is one of the only CFD & Forex brokers to offer the MetaTrader 4 Mac trading platform without emulators or complex installation procedures. No more applications like Wine, Play on Mac, Parallel Desktop or anything are needed.
Admiral Markets offers you two trading platforms: MetaTrader 4 Mac, as well as MetaTrader 5 Mac in a native application, easy to install and without emulator. You can test both platforms if you wish.
MT4 Mac review - Advantages & Disadvantages
MT4 MAC advantages:
- The Mac trading software is easy to use and very fast. Once installed on your computer, MetaTrader 4 for MacBook or iMac works exactly the same as it does on Windows: you don't need to use any emulators that monopolize your Mac's resources, causing it to overheat and making the platform unstable
- Several markets are available: CFDs, forex, equities & ETFs
- Expert advisors don't work very well on Mac
- With Admiral Markets, the securities account is only available on MT5
Feel free to install MetaTrader 4 Mac and make your own opinion.
About Admiral Markets
As a regulated broker, we provide access to some of the most widely used trading platforms in the world. With us, you can trade CFDs, shares, and ETFs.