MetaTrader 4 chart settings – MT4 display settings
What are the display settings on MetaTrader 4?
Once your MetaTrader 4 demo account is open, solutions included in the MT4 trading platform features are available.
MetaTrader 4 chart properties
When you write a text on a trading chart of the MT4 forex trading station, it may be convenient to change the font size or the color of the text as well as its location.
Access the chart properties
- How to access the properties of an MT4 trading chart?
- 1.Right-click on your MT4 forex trading chart
- 2.Select "Properties…" at the bottom of the menu
A window then appears with two tabs:
- The "Color" tab
- The "Common" tab
This first tab mainly contains the colors that can be applied to each component of the forex trader's trading chart, which are:
- Bar Up
- Bar Down
- Bull candle
- Bear candle
- Line graph
- Ask line
- Stop levels
As a trader, you may spend a lot of time in front of your trading charts. Therefore, the layout and configuration of a comfortable and convenient MT4 trading chart are not negligible!
So don't forget to play on the contrasts in order to have a pleasant and easy visual.
Three default color display settings are included in the MT4 forex platform. You can access them through the "Color scheme:" line, where you will find the following models in a menu:
- Yellow On Black, for a MetaTrader 4 trading chart with yellow Japanese candlesticks and a black background
- Green On Black, for an MT4 trading chart with green Japanese candlesticks and a black background
- Black On White, for an MT4 trading chart with black Japanese candlesticks and a white background
In this second tab, the parameters are divided into four sections.
The first section contains the following options:
- Offline chart
- Chart on foreground, which allows a chart to be displayed in front of the others
- Chart shift, which allows you to have an empty space on the right side of your MT4 forex trading chart
- Chart autoscroll, which allows a continuous scrolling each time a Japanese candlestick appears
As for the second section, it contains the following options:
- Scale fix One to One (1 : 1)
- Scale fix, which allows you to zoom in as you wish on your MT4 forex trading chart
The third section is devoted to the representation of the price:
- Bar chart
- Line chart
These features are also available through a shortcut located in the toolbar at the top of your MT4 forex platform.
Finally, the last section allows you to tick the following preferences:
- Show OHLC, i.e., the opening, the highest, the lowest and the closing price of the Japanese candlestick you have your cursor on
- Show Ask line
- Show period separators
- Show grid
- Show volumes
- Show object descriptions
Access the text properties
To add a text on an MT4 trading chart, a shortcut is located in the toolbar at the top of the forex platform represented by an "A". Once you click on it, you then need to click where you want to position the text on your chart.
- How to access the properties of an MT4 trading text?
When you first add a text on an MT4 trading chart, the "Text properties…" window appears automatically. If the text is already on your chart, you just need to follow these steps to access the "Text properties…" window:
- 1.Double-click on the text
- 2.Right-click on the text
- 3.Select "Text properties…" at the top of the menu
A window then appears with three tabs:
- The "Common" tab
- The "Parameters" tab
- The "Visualization" tab
The "Common" tab of the "Text properties…" window includes:
- The name of the text
- The text itself
- The font
- The size of the font
- The color of the text
- The ability to display the text in the background by ticking the "Draw object as background" box
The "visualization" tab completes the text properties. This tab allows you to:
- Select the time frames on which you want the text to be displayed
If you want to display a personal comment only on the H4 time frame of your trading chart, you just need to:
- Go to the "Visualization" tab
- Untick the "Show on all the timeframes" box
- Tick the "H4" box
Thus, the text will only be visible on the H4 time frame of your MT4 trading chart.
Similarly, you can set up a group of time frames on which you want to find your comment. To do this, simply tick the time frames you want.
Once you have clicked on "OK", the text is displayed on the forex platform chart.
To get back to the "Text properties…" window, you just have to:
- Double-click on the text
- Right click on the text
- Select "Text properties…" at the top of the menu
Another way to get back to the properties is to:
- Right-click on the chart
- Select "Objects List"
You will then see a window appear, where you can find all the objects present on your MT4 forex trading chart, which can be:
- Horizontal lines
- Vertical lines
- Trend lines
- All other types of drawings
In the "Objects List", it is possible to access the properties of each object or to delete the objects you no longer need in order to clean your chart.
Is it that easy to change the drawing properties?
The answer is yes!
For all objects present on the MT4 forex platform, the composition (tabs) of the properties remains the same. This implies that you can modify the representation of objects as you wish, regarding:
- The color
- The size
- The style (or font)
- The time frames on which they are displayed
Feel free to test these features of the MetaTrader 4 platform on a free demo account without any commitment.
About Admiral Markets
As a regulated broker, we provide access to some of the most widely used trading platforms in the world. With us, you can trade CFDs, shares, and ETFs.