Ultimate Guide to MetaTrader 5
Whether you are already a seasoned trader, or just a beginner looking to understand and master MetaTrader 5, this comprehensive guide to the free MetaTrader 5 platform will cover every detail you need to know!
I'll start this MetaTrader 5 tutorial answering some key questions that come to traders' minds when they start thinking about this platform for the first time.
For example, "Is Meta Trader 5 free?" Yes. The next one, "Is Meta Trader 5 good?" Well, yes. The MT4 platform is considered the industry standard and the MT5 platform has some of the same features, as well as some slightly different ones.
If you've made the decision to download the MT5 platform, instead of using the MetaTrader 5 web option, then you're in the right place. Let's begin:
Here's what I'm going to cover:
How to download MetaTrader 5
- Go to the MetaTrader 5 download page
- Fill out the login form
- The download will automatically begin
Depending on whether you're downloading from a desktop computer or a mobile device, this page will offer you the version you need: Android, Apple iOS, Mac, or Windows. Linux users are not left out. I've also provided a section on performing the MetaTrader 5 Linux setup.
How to install MT5 on Windows?
Once downloaded, you can find the file either at the download bar at the bottom of your browser's window, or in your download file directory.
- Click the downloaded mt5setup.exe file.
- Follow the Windows installation instructions.
- Choose the installation directory location.
- Click Finish when done.
Once the installation is complete, you can click the application shortcut newly created on your desktop, and launch the MetaTrader 5 software.
How to set up MT5 on Linux
In this MetaTrader 5 review, I'm going to who you some of the essential pieces of information you need to know in order to install MT5 on an Ubuntu distribution kit. Why Ubuntu? It's the most popular version.
To set up MetaTrader 5 on Ubuntu, you need Wine. Wine is absolutely free and it serves as an intermediary piece of software that allows applications designed for Windows systems to be used on Linux systems.
- Wine isn't an absolutely stable system. This means that some features of the applications running on Wine might not work properly, or they may stop working completely.
- It's strongly recommended that you get the most recent version of both Wine and Ubuntu. This will ensure the highest level of stability for your MT5 app.
To install Wine, just type in the following command on the command line (in Ubuntu, this is called the "Terminal"):
sudo apt-get install wine-stable
By entering this command, you will install the most recent, stable version of Wine. Before you type this command in your Terminal, double check that this it's the most recent command. As new versions of Ubuntu are released and developers update their applications, the commands often change, over time, as well. Next, download the MT4 platform and install it through Wine.
How to install MT5 on Mac
With the latest version of Mac OS, Catalina, Apple have removed the ability to use 32-bit applications. This has affected many applications, including the MetaTrader trading platforms, which do not currently work on the Catalina OS. Parallels Desktop is an application which allows you to run a virtual machine on your Mac. A virtual machine emulates a computer and allows you to run another operating system, such as Windows, which essentially acts as another computer on the host machine. As a customer of Admiral Markets, you will receive three months of Parallels Pro absolutely free, provided you meet the eligibility requirements which we will detail later.With Parallels, you can use MetaTrader 5 by installing:
- Windows 10; or
- Mac OS Mojave
Using Windows means that you can use, not just MetaTrader 5, but any other Windows applications and programs right on your Mac! However, as a Mac user, you will need to purchase a license in order to comply with the Windows License Terms. As a Mac owner, it is possible to run a separate Mac OS through a virtual machine on your Mac. Please note that this is subject to the relevant OS terms and conditions, which you must read to ensure your full compliance.Here, we will guide you through the process for both methods, which begin the same.
Open an Account With Admiral Markets
Firstly, you need to open an account with Admiral Markets. To be eligible to use Parallels Pro free for three months, you must have an account balance of at least €3,000.
- Request Your License
Head to this page and fill out your details in order to register for Parallels.Once you have made the request and our team has checked your eligibility, you will be emailed your license key to start using Parallels Pro.
- Download Parallels for Mac
Next, you will need to download Parallels for Mac from their website.
Once the file has finished downloading, open it and follow the on-screen instructions for installation.
Once you have downloaded Parallels for Mac and entered your license key, you need to install a virtual machine. Here is where the installation will differ depending on whether you wish to use Windows 10 or Mac OS Mojave.Install Windows 10 Using ParallelsIf you prefer to use Windows 10, the installation process is incredibly straightforward! To install a virtual machine, you will see the screen below. Simply click the icon labelled "Get Windows 10 from Microsoft" on the left hand side.
On the following screen, you will be prompted to buy Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store. If you already have a license key, you will be able to download Windows 10 and can activate Windows with your license key after it has downloaded. Whilst the installation is taking place, you may be asked some setup questions, much like you would when turning on a new computer for the first time. The process can take quite a long time, depending on your Mac's capabilities. And that is it! Once the virtual machine has been created, open the internet browser within the virtual machine, head for this page and follow the instructions for downloading MetaTrader 5 for Windows! Install Mac OS Mojave Using Parallels. Unfortunately, installing Mojave using Parallels is slightly more complicated. It is not possible to download it directly from Parallels as with Windows 10. But do not worry, we will walk you through every step! Head to this page, which will ask your permission to open your Apple App store at the page for downloading Mojave. Please note that you will not be able to find Mojave in the App store without this link.
Click the "GET" button to begin your download. You will be asked if you are sure that you want to download Mac OS Mojave, click "Download". Do not worry, it will not reinstall Mojave on your computer automatically, but instead, download the Installer program.
The download may take a while due to the large file size. Once Mojave finishes downloading, it should not be able to run automatically. However, if it does, all you need to do is quit the installer. Now, head to Parallels and create a new virtual machine. You will be presented with this screen:
Click on the middle icon "Install Windows or another OS from a DVD or image file". Parallels should be able to find the Mojave installer automatically, as shown below.
If Parallels does not find it automatically, select "Choose Manually" and on the following screen "Select a file". The Mojave installer will be in your Applications folder. Make sure that you have "All files" selected from the drop-down, as shown below, otherwise you will not be able to select the installer.
Once selected, press continue. Parallels will need to convert the file to a Disk Image in order to use it to create a virtual machine. Once converted, Parallels will ask you to name the virtual machine and then the installation will begin. You will be run through various set-up options as you would when starting a brand new computer. This process can take quite a long time, depending on your Mac's capabilities. Once everything is finished, open an internet browser via your virtual machine, head to this page and follow the instructions for downloading MetaTrader 5 for non-Catalina Macs!
How do I open an MT5 account and start trading?
- Go to the Trader's Room page and log in.
- Once logged in, go to the Dashboard tab.
- Click either "Open Live Account" or "Open Demo Account" with MetaTrader 5.
- Trading conditions and offers are different from retail and professional clients. Learn more about these types of accounts.
- Different types of accounts offer access to different instruments. Trade.MT5 for CFDs on a wide range of instruments, or Invest.MT5 to trade stocks and ETFs.
- Choose and monitor the currencies in your account.
- Choose the leverage you wish to use.
To activate your account, you will get a confirmation email with the next steps necessary to verify your account and usage.
How to add funds to your account
It's time I answer another question some traders ask, "What is the MetaTrader 5 minimum deposit?". MetaTrader 5 is a platform brokers use to allow traders to conveniently trade. It doesn't decide your minimum deposit with the MetaTrader 5 brokers. The broker you connect with via MetaTrader 5 sets the minimum deposit.
In any case, you'll need to add funds to your account. In the transfer tab on the Admiral Markets website, you can see the options for transferring funds from your bank to your trading account.
Once your trading account is verified, and you've transferred funds, you are ready to start trading! You are ready to trade on either the MetaTrader desktop platform, or in your browser with WebTrader.
How to connect to MetaTrader
- Launch the MetaTrader 5 platform
- Click the dropdown File menu at the top left
- Select 'Login to Trade Account'
- Input your MT5 account ID and password where prompted
- Select the server specified in your confirmation email
- Click OK
To close MT5, simply click the File menu, and then select 'Exit'
If you do not want MetaTrader 5 to save your login information, make sure to uncheck the 'Save Account Information' box in the login screen.
Why choose MT5 with Admiral Markets?
Admiral Markets is one of the few and best CFD and Forex brokers to offer the MetaTrader 5 trading platform on PC and Mac OS.
Enjoy these benefits when choosing Admiral Markets to trade with:
- Enjoy tight spreads on all major instruments: 0.6 pips on the EUR/USD currency pair, or 0.8 pips on the DAX30 CFD and CAC40 CFD.
- Leverage access is granted up to 1:500 for clients who are categorised as Professional Clients, which allows traders the ability to open positions worth 500 times greater than your available capital. We recommend being well acquainted with risk management if you do so.
- For individual Retail Clients, leverage up to 1:30, with negative balance protection, is available.
- Access to free, real-time professional trading charts and tools for every index offered in the MetaTrader 5: Supreme Edition plugin.
- Speed, comfort, and elegance - one-click trading with the MiniTerminal.
- Admiral Markets investment firms are regulated by the FCA, ASIC, CySEC and EFSA.
- Free deposits and withdrawals by bank transfer and credit card.
- All trading styles are available: hedging, scalping, and Expert Advisors (EAs) are all allowed
Advantages of MT5 over 4
While MT4 and MT5 are the world's most popular trading platforms, MetaTrader 5 does have some unique benefits:
- Simpler, easier to use and improved interface.
- New, customisable units of time and measurement available.
- An economic calendar integrated into the platform.
- A brief history of automated orders viewable directly on an index' chart.
- The history of the market (like an order book).
- With Admiral Markets, access over 7,000 instruments, including CFD trading on 3,000+ instruments in our Trade.MT5 account.
MetaTrader 5 also has performance and optimisation upgrades over version 4:
- Quicker, more stable connection to servers.
- Greater platform stability than MT4.
- Faster and more accurate order execution.
- Hedging allowed, for you to cover your positions.
- Available on PC, Mac OS and iOS, Android, and through every supported browser.
Not only is MetaTrader 5 newer and vastly more powerful than MetaTrader 4, which is older but, at the moment, more widely used, MT5 has more advanced functionality mainly due to the technological evolutions that the MetaQuotes developers have developed. In general, EA traders prefer MT4, while manual and discretionary traders prefer MT5.
If you do not find the answers to all your questions through this MetaTrader 5 guide, do not hesitate to contact us for a chat!
MetaTrader Supreme Edition Advantages
MetaTrader Supreme Edition is a special plug-in built by Admiral Markets for the Metatrader (MT) software platform – MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5. The Supreme Edition plug-in hosts 60+ extra features which the standard MT platform does not offer.
The good news is that the SE plug-in is free to download for both MT4 and MT5. This means that you can first test the plug-in without any stress or worry.
The plug-in offers a wide range of advantages. Here is a short-list of all the extra features:
- Global Opinion shows the sentiment of worldwide traders for financial instruments.
- The Mini Terminal is a handy trade management tool which allows you to open and manage trading positions.
- The Trade Terminal is an efficient way to manage all of your accounts and orders.
- The Tick Chart Trader gives you the ability to see the price move from up close and also allows for trading directly from the tick chart, exporting data, and using different chart types.
- Stay connected with real-time news directly within the MetaTrader platform.
- The Indicator Package features a large collection of valuable indicators designed to help your trading.
- The Trading Simulator gives you the ability to test your strategies.
- The Mini Chart allows you to see multiple time frames and chart types in one chart.
As you can see, the MetaTrader Supreme Edition offers many advantages and benefits for traders.
Trade on MetaTrader 5 With Admiral Markets
Admiral Markets offers the ability to trade with MetaTrader 5 in your browser, or to download the entire platform for FREE! Gain access to real-time market data, technical analysis, insight from professional trading experts, and thousands of trading instruments to trade and invest with. Start your trading journey the right way, click the banner below to get started!
How to trade with MT5
- Open the 'Market Watch' window from the 'View' tab or pressing Ctrl+M.
- Double-click on your trading instrument of choice.
- Press the 'Buy' or 'Sell' button.
The easiest way to open a trade on MetaTrader 5 is to use the 'Order' window to place an instant order in your instrument of choice.
When your trading chart is displayed in a MetaTrader 5 trading station, you can also open a position using the shortcut on the toolbar on the top left, named 'New Order."
Once you either click the 'New Order' button on the toolbar, or open a new order with the F9 shortcut key, you can easily input your desired order amount.
To open a trade, you must enter your desired trade size, in lots, in the volume box, then click Buy or Sell. The 'Market Execution' option allows for instant orders with MetaTrader 5.
You can also use the 'One Click Trading' option, found in the contextual menu that opens whenever you right-click on an MT5 trading chart. This method of opening positions is very fast, and ideal for day trading, and scalping strategies- the only parameter is how many lots are desired in the take decision.
It is also very simple to enter in take-profit and stop-loss orders for your positions. Once your order is in position, click and drag the input line up or down, depending on the direction of your trade.
How to set a Stop Loss and Take Profit in MT5
Stop losses and take profits are tools you can use to automatically close your open trades. A stop loss helps reduce your trading losses, while a take profit helps secure your trading profits.
There are two ways to set stop losses and take profits in MetaTrader - the first is when opening a trade, and the second is when adding them to a trade that is already open.
For setting them up when opening a trade:
- Click the 'New Order' button in the toolbar towards the top of the screen.
- Highlight stop loss and take profit fields
- Enter stop loss that is lower than the current sell price (this is the price on top of the 'sell by market' button)
- Enter a take profit that is higher than the current buy price (the price over the 'buy by market' button)
- Click 'Buy by market'
When adding them to an existing trade:
- In the chart window, highlight price where trade was opened (green dotted line)
- Highlight stop loss (red dotted line below the trade)
- Highlight take profit (red dotted line above the trade)
- Try to drag stop loss to a different level
- Accept terms and conditions (pop up window).
- Drag stop loss to a different level
How to set a Trailing Stop in MT5
Trailing stops are stops that will be adjusted as the trade moves in the trader's favour, to further diminish the downside risk of being wrong in a trade. To set a trailing stop, simply:
- Right click on the line for your position.
- Select 'trailing stop' from the menu that opens.
- Choose the size of your stop follow value, and click to confirm.
Here's another possible method for setting a trailing stop:
- Open the Toolbox by inputting keyboard shortcut Ctrl+T.
- Select the 'Trade' tab and then right click on the line representing your open position.
- Select 'trailing stop' from the menu that opens.
- Choose the size of your stop follow value, and click to confirm.
Want to stay for as long as possible in a winning position?
The Stop Follower is exactly the tool you need.
This tool will track stock and index prices in real time, and freeze your position when the market moves in the opposite direction of your trade.
- For a long position, the MetaTrader 5 tool clears the price and freezes when the price drops. If the price reaches your stop loss level, the position is closed automatically.
- For a short position, the tool follows the downward trend, and freezes when the price begins to rise.
One-click trading with MT5
One-click trading is an intuitive and fast option to open trading positions. It is available directly from an active chart, and you can visually preview your position represented by a dotted line.
Several functions can be accessed when hovering over a chart in this way. Left-click to open a position, and right-click and select the option to close to leave.
You can also access the Edit option here as well, this allows you to:
- Change the existing Stop Loss value
- Change the existing Take Profit value
Additionally, it's possible to modify your position by visually clicking on and dragging the red line on the chart representing your input level.
For a long position:
- Dragging down modifies your Stop Loss value
- Pulling up modifies your Take Profit value
For a short position:
- Dragging down modifies your Take Profit value
- Pulling up modifies your Stop Loss value
Each of these options grants you additional control and workflow command over your trades.
MT5 simple starter graph template
Want an easily accessible, clear and concise graph to make analysing the markets every day easier? Here's how to have the same kind of charts that the professionals use:
- Use white backgrounds in your charts, for better visibility.
- Use blue Japanese candlesticks to represent rises in an index, and red for declines.
- Utilise the Expert Advisor plugin in the MetaTrader 5: Supreme Edition MiniTerminal. It will automatically identify trends, momentum, market strength and volatility, the last peaks and troughs, all according to the range of time and index or instrument of choice.
- Two exponential moving average indicators, from 20 to 50 periods.
How to add indicators on MT5
Forex markets have a tendency to behave in certain ways under certain conditions. This behaviour repeats itself, meaning that certain price patterns will occur time and again. The best Forex indicators attempt to recognise such patterns as they form, and they gain an edge by exploiting that knowledge.
To add indicators to your platform, simply:
- Download and install MetaTrader 5: Supreme Edition.
- Download indicators from the Market tab of the Toolbox window.
- Manually install the indicators from the Indicators folder in the MetaTrader 5 installation folder.
Choose from three different types of indicators available in the MetaTrader 5 platform, with different options and features for different user needs. Add indicators, expert advisors, or create or add your own custom tools. You can find custom tools available to download on the internet, created in the compatible MQL5 language.
This is why MetaTrader 5: Supreme Edition is the best and most powerful trading platform solution. You'll find many of the leading indicators, such as Pivot Point, Supertrend, Heikin Ashi, and others already installed. Adding more is a simple process.
If you want to learn more about available indicators, you can visit the MetaTrader 5 forum. The MT5 community is active, and creating new plugins and indicators every day.
How to save an MT5 trading chart template
MT5 allows you to save trading chart templates. The main benefit of doing this is it allows you to quickly and easily access your most used charts, with your preferred tools ready to go, anytime you need them.
One example of a saved chart might be your favorite Forex currency pair with three technical indicators - 3 Simple Moving Averages, the MetaTrader 5 Heiken Ashi Indicator, the MT5 RSI.
To create this MetaTrader 5 chart template:
- Build your chart with all desired indicators and plugins.
- Click on the Charts tab, and select templates.
- Click 'Save Template.'
- Give your template a name, and save.
It's that simple of a four-step process to save your template!
Once you save your preferred chart as a template, from then on you can open that chart template and find your entire trading system and indicators ready to go, and quickly. To load a template whenever you need, simply:
- Go to the Charts tab.
- Click on 'Templates.'
- Select the model that suits your needs.
How to save a profile in MT5
You can also save profiles in MT5. The benefit of doing this is to give you instant access to every one of your favourite instruments, without having to search for them again and again.
Here's an example of what a profile can do for you:
Let's say you trade Forex in the morning, and US market indices in the afternoon. In the morning, you load your Forex profile, and all your favorite currency pairs will be displayed, as well as all the indicators you attached, and relevant strategy advisors. Then, in the afternoon, you load your US index profile, and you're once again greeted with only the charts and tools relevant to that need, every option saved.
To save a profile in MetaTrader 5:
- Select the asset or instruments which interest you.
- Add the desired indicators to each chart.
- Go to the 'Files' tab, and select 'Profiles.'
- Click 'Save As."
- Give your profile a name, and click ok to save.
The profile system in MetaTrader 5 allows you to save and record a collection of your favoured instruments and applied indicators and tools for each one, all in a single easily-loaded file.
How to view MT5 chart information
- Hover your mouse's cursor over an indicator to know the value of its subject.
- Alternatively, use the 'Data Window' from the toolbar at the top left of the window, it displays all information from the active trading chart. The keyboard shortcut to this tool is Ctrl+D.
The range of data and information you can get from a single chart can be overwhelming to try to find on your own! That's why it's convenient and helpful to be acquainted with the data window.
Here's an example of a scenario where this would be helpful:
Let's say you trade with the RSI, and have to wait for the Relative Strength Index's curve to cross the 50's to get into position. It is simpler to read the exact value in data form, than to make approximate guesses based on the chart-- this is particularly important with instruments that change value rapidly.
How to display units of time in MT5
Did you know you can set custom units of time?
MetaTrader 5 can display charts in a wide variety of specific units of time, in addition to the most commonly utilised in each instrument.
Contrary to MetaTrader 4, which can only use a small number of preset units of time for each chart, MT5 allows the use of custom units, such as:
- M2 for 2 minutes
- M3 for 3 minutes
- M4 for 4 minutes
- M6 for 5 minutes
- M10 for 10 minutes
- M12 for 12 minutes
- M20 for 20 minutes
- H2 for 2 hours
- H3 for 3 hours
- H6 for 6 hours
- H8 for 8 hours
- H12 for 12 hours
To set a custom time unit, follow these steps:
- Use the default toolbar at the top right of the MT5 platform.
- Right-click on the chart, go to 'Timeframes', and choose to change the unit of time.
How to display the spread value in MT5
In Forex trading, the 'spread' refers to the difference between the Buy (or Bid) and Sell (or Ask) price of a currency pair. For instance, if the EUR/USD Bid price is 1.16909, and the Ask price is 1.16919, the spread is 1 pip. If the Bid price is 1.16909 and the Ask price is 1.16949, the spread would be 4 pips. When trading Forex, a trader makes a profit based on the movement of the currency pair. However, the trade only becomes profitable once the currency price has crossed the spread.
To view your spread:
- On the trading chart, find the bid line and ask line.
- From the Market Watch window, find the Difference column.
How to view commissions in MT5
With a standard Trade.MT5 trading account, the only commission on CFD trading is from swaps, which are an overnight holding fee for intraday positions. These fees are displayed for every relevant position.
In this respect, CFD day traders or scalpers have a bit of an advantage, with only typical, tight spreads.
If you do hold intraday positions, displaying these charges in the platform can help you better understand the costs of trading, and help you manage these effectively.
To view commissions and swap charges in MetaTrader 5, take these steps:
- Input keyboard shortcut Ctrl+T to view the MT5 Toolbox.
- In the Trade tab, you can view your open positions.
- In the Exchange column, you can view commissions applied to your positions.
How to display a tick chart in MT5
If you are an experienced trader, searching for specific types of charts outside of your standard daily chart, MetaTrader 5 allows you simple access to others, such as tick charts and range charts. To install a tick chart:
- Click on the Market Watch shortcut.
- Click on the 'Ticks' tab at the bottom.
Now that you've found it, you have the option to move the Market Watch window in any direction you wish. Up, down, left, or right.
How to display a Range chart in MT5
- Add the Admiral MiniChart indicator to your trading chart.
- Go to 'Input Settings.'
- Find the fields to choose chart timeframe/type.
- Select the chart's range of values, from Standard to Stacked.
- Input the size of the range candles.
- Click Ok.
Examples of different range candle options:
- If you select 10, a new range candle is created whenever a 10-point move is recorded on the market.
- If you select 3, a new range candle is created whenever a 3-point move is recorded on the market.
This option is only available in MetaTrader 5: Supreme Edition!
How to display a Renko chart in MT5
A normal price chart plots the price each time a certain unit of time transpires. In contrast, a Renko chart is only concerned with price, and not time – and it only displays price changes that meet a certain minimum magnitude. Price changes that don't clear this hurdle are ignored. This filtering out of smaller price movements keeps the focus on significant moves, and helps you to disregard noise.
- Add the Admiral MiniChart Indicator to your trading chart.
- Go to the input settings.
- Find the chart timeframe/type
- Select the Renko graph, choose between Renko (Standard) or Renko (With Tails).
- Assign the size of the Renko candles, Renko/Range/Kagi.
- Click Ok.
- If you select 10, a new Renko candle is created whenever 10-points of up or down movement is recorded on the market.
- If you select 3, a new Renko candle is created whenever 3-points of up or down movement is registered on the market.
Here, again, there is no option to access these features outside of MetaTrader 5: Supreme Edition, so make sure you upgrade today!
How to view all assets in MT5
You can view all assets in MT5 in the Market Watch window, which is in the top left of the MetaTrader 5 platform.
- Click the Market Watch shortcut at the top left of the MetaTrader window. (Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+M)
- Scroll through the list of markets covered by your Admiral Markets account.
- For instruments that don't appear in the list, you can add them using the field at the bottom of the list.
Source: MetaTrader 5
Which CFD markets are available on MT5?
With Admiral Markets, you can trade the following instruments with a Trade.MT5 trading account:
- Forex (ex. EUR/USD, GBP/USD, USD/JPY) with 37 different currency pairs.
- CFDs on 26 stock indices (ex. DAX30, CAC40, DJI30)
- CFDs on 15 commodities (ex. Gold, oil)
- CFDs on 3,000+ equities (ex. Total S.A, BNP Paribas, Facebook)
- CFDs on ETFx (exchange-traded funds) - 300+
- CFDs on 32 cryptocurrency crosses (ex. Bitcoin, Ripple, Monero)
- CFDs on bonds (ex. T Note, Bund)
In order to view a particular CFD instrument in MetaTrader 5:
- Right-click in the Market Watch window.
- Select the 'Symbols' tab.
This is the simplest method to quickly view and select from the full list of instruments you can trade with your MetaTrader 5 account. All you have to do is find your instrument of choice and double-click on it.
Let's say you choose DAX30 from the 'Cash Indices 1,' it is added to your list of instruments. All you have to do to open the trading chart, is click and drag it onto the trading window, or rick-click and select 'Open Chart.'
If you can not find the DAX30 CFD in the list of instruments, right-click and select 'Show All.' This way, you can see every possible instrument you can trade in a single window.
How to analyse cryptocurrency charts in MT5
- Choose the time frame to display the chart (from weekly, to hourly, and so on).
- Assess the price movement over time to determine the trends.
- Find the support and resistance levels using the Point Pivot indicator.
Many cryptocurrencies can be analysed and traded on MetaTrader 5, to name a few:
- Bitcoin Cash
How to invest in shares with MT5
You can now not just view and analyse shares with MetaTrader 5, but trade them as well!
The list of financial instruments is available on the Admiral Markets website. Our new offers include first class shares from 15 of the world's leading stock exchanges, including:
- France (Euronext)
- Germany (Xetra)
- Netherlands (Euronext)
- Spain (BME)
- Sweden (NASDAQ)
- Switzerland (SWX)
- United Kingdom (LSE)
- United States (AMEX, NASDAQ et NYSE)
Combined with the instruments previously available, our offering is without a doubt one of the most diverse of all online trading brokers. With the MetaTrader 5 trading platform, we also provide some of the most competitive trading conditions for traders and investors.
To invest in shares in ETFs with Invest.MT5, first you need to sign into MetaTrader using your live account number and investor password (these are available in Trader's Room).
Once you are signed in to your investor account, then:
- Open the Market Watch window.
- Double click on the company of choice.
- Press the Buy button.
These are the terms when investing in stocks with Admiral Markets with MetaTrader 5:
- Margin rate: 1:1
- Commissions (by unilateral trade) :
- European Union - from 0.12%, minimum 5.0 EUR
- United Kingdom - GBP 8.0 for equities, 0.07% for ETFs, and a minimum of GBP 8.0 for both
- United States - from 0.01 USD, minimum 1.0 USD
- Dividends: 100% (paid)
- Taxes collected:
- United Kingdom - Stamp Duty Reserve Tax (SDRT): 0.5%;
- France - Tax on financial transactions: 0.3%. Invoiced for other specific actions.
- Additional costs: none.
Please note, tax treatment depends on the individual circumstances of each client and may be subject to change in the future.
On MetaTrader 5, stock data is available in real time and at no cost to live accounts. It is delayed 15 minutes on demo accounts.
M5 Backtesting Guide
There are several ways on MetaTrader 5 to perform historical tests to determine the effectiveness of a trading strategy:
- Manual method:
- Once you've found an instrument and strategy, you can view its historical data down the smallest increment of price action
- The F12 key will aid you in advancing candle to candle, to see a close view of price action data.
- Expert Advisor method:
Once the Expert Advisor is installed, you can choose from a number of built-in backtesting options to run over different periods of time to evaluate a given strategy.
The MQL5 Strategy Tester plugin has been improved for further ease of use and more advanced, professional results. This tool performs statistical analysis that is both detailed and easy to use.
For the programming-minded trader, MQL5 is more advanced than MQL4:
- Greater ease of programming.
- Greater performance and speed.
- Less taxing load on the computer's CPU.
- Faster tests and optimizations.
How to execute a quick historical test with MT5's Strategy Tester
- Open the MT5 Strategy Tester.
- Choose the indicator or EA (Expert Advisor) to test.
- Choose the time unit on which you want to do the historical test.
- Choose an instrument for this historical test.
- Select the start and end dates of the test.
- Choose the execution mode.
- Fill in the starting amount, as well as the desired leverage.
- Visual mode on or off.
You have the option to run the test in visual mode if you want to see the positions being taken on the chart, by the EA as the test progresses.
How to use MT5 on Android
- Download the MT5 app from Google Play.
- Open the app and sign in using your Trade.MT5 or Invest.MT5 account details.
- Click the + icon located at the top right of the MT5 app.
- Choose your desired MetaTrader 5 trading instrument.
- Choose your lot size.
- Set your desired stop loss (optional). Choose your desired Loss Price Level.
- Set your desired take profit (optional). Choose the level of profit desired.
- Take a short position using the Sell by Market key.
- Take a long position using the Buy by Market key.
In order to take a position on the market, you just need to fill each of these criteria and press the Sell or Buy key. This simple and intuitive navigation makes MetaTrader 5 the premiere mobile trading app.
How to use MT5 on iPhone
- Download the MT5 app from the App store.
- Sign in using your Trade.MT5 or Invest.MT5 account details.
- Click the + icon located at the top right of the MT5 App.
- Choose the instrument you want to trade from the dropdown list.
- Choose your lot size.
- Set your desired stop loss (optional).
- Set your desired take profit (optional).
- Take a short position by tapping 'Sell by Market'.
- Take a buy position by tapping 'Buy by Market'.
In order to take a position on the market, you just need to fill each of these criteria and press the Sell or Buy key.
MT4 vs MT5 - What's the difference?
Before I close this piece, I'm going to answer a question many traders ask themselves whenever they start looking at the MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5 platforms. For example, "What is the difference between MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5?".
Basically, the MetaTrader platform is the gold standard. Some argue that MetaTrader 5 shouldn't be considered a new version of MetaTrader 4. Also, as MetaTrader 4 is so popular, many argue, "If it isn't broke, why fix it?". One of the main reasons traders might choose MT5 over MT4 is that it offers Depth of Market (DOM) data from brokers.
WebTrader is a browser-based version of MetaTrader, which allows you to trade on the go without downloading any software.
This is a convenient solution for traders on-the-go, or do not have a single computer that they wish to install the full MetaTrader 5 platform on.
WebTrader MT5 allows you to trade anywhere securely and in seconds.
You can even trade from your smartphone's browser without downloading a new application that will take up precious space on your mobile phone!
Investing with Admiral Markets
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with a custom, upgraded version of MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5 Supreme Edition!
About Admiral Markets
Admiral Markets is a multi-award winning, globally regulated Forex and CFD broker, offering trading on over 8,000 financial instruments via the world's most popular trading platforms: MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5. Start trading today!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter "Analysis") published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Saulius Radžiūnas, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter "Author") based on the Author's personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures refer that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.